In my quest to prove you CAN find a nice guy to date organically, I set out to meet a man at the gym this month.
I’ve had a crush on/flirted with/been asked out by/dated five gym staff members in my gym-going career. But since those men are paid to make me feel good about myself and flirt a bit to get the sale, I tried to focus this month on meeting other members. Male members. Wait, ew. Well, I mean, maybe eventually, but, well, let’s just move on.
See, here’s the probelm…I was a member of a gym for approximately 18 days this month (my lawsuit-membership ran out early on and I did a five-day trial at another gym…yes, mostly for the purpose of extending the opportunity to meet a guy) and I went to a gym maybe six of those days. Oops.
I didn’t meet any men, I mostly just drooled over their muscles.
Mistakes I made:
1. Not going during peak times. I am an early morning / early afternoon during the week type and early morning on the weekend type. Hunky men are sleeping or working at those times. I ended up working out with old people and housewives.
2. Being the girl who doesn’t care what she looks like at the gym. Like at all. There’s a fine line and I realized one day while watching my form on some strength exercises that I was on the wrong side.
3. Listening to my iPod. I don’t like not having music! I don’t want to listen to the gorilla juice heads grunting or the old men singing to THEIR music.
4. Being unapproachable. This is a compilation of the above AND the story of my life.
Mistakes I didn’t make:
1. Thinking I can meet a suitable guy at the gym. There are a lot of attractive men there and fitness is important to me, so if he’s there, I already know we have that in common.
2. Forcing myself back to the big box gyms (instead of relying on my little gym at my apartment complex) because I remembered how much I love it and it helped me switch up my routine.
So, yeah, no success this month, but I might join another gym and keep this as an option! If nothing else, I’ll be cut!